“Efemérides” is a Spanish word that means the anniversaries of significant events which took place on this day in history. Let´s see below what happened a day like today, but many years ago…
A day like today, June 16th,…
• 1216 – Pope Innocent III dies.
• 1817 – San Martín was appointed General in Chief of the Army of Chile.
• 1865 – Starts in Buenos Aires the Faculty of Engineering.
• 1889 – Arthur Stanley Jefferson was born Stan, Hardy, American actor.
• 1900 – The Cuban people voted the country’s first constitution.
• 1910 – Arizona and New Mexico become states of the Union.
• 1917 – opens in Russia the first Congress of Soviets.
• 1937 – born Erich Segal, writer, author of “Love Story.”
• 1944 – World War II: Allied offensive in Italy against the German line Florence-Pisa-Rimini.
• 1950 – opens the Maracana Stadium in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
• 1961 – Rudolf Nureyev requests asylum in Paris.
• 1963 – The Soviet army officer Valentina Tereshkova becomes the first woman astronaut.
• 1977 – Death of Werner von Braun, German engineer and physicist, one of the fathers of the atomic bomb.
• 1978 – United States and Panama agree to the transfer of the canal in 2000.
• 1987 – Some 160 people die when a ship wrecked in the river Brahmani in India, full of crocodiles.
• 1989 – Raul Alfonsín announced the country to resign as president of Argentina.
• 1989 – premier of the film “Ghostbusters II.”
• 1991 – Boris Yeltsin is elected President of Russia.
• 1992 – U.S. and Russia announce the beginning of a new era of mutual trust and cooperation on a democratic and non-nuclear threats.
• 1999 – The members of the space mission STS-95 Discovery, Pedro Duque, John Glenn and Chiaki Mukai, and Russian cosmonaut Valeri Poliakov, are awarded the Prince of Asturias Award for International Cooperation.
At CEDIC Spanish Institute, our Spanish School in Buenos Aires, Argentina, our students not only study the Spanish language but also learn about the Latin America Culture. During the Spanish classes our students have the possibility of speak in Spanish about their own traditions and customs.